The organization known as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, was set up to help protect our world's oceans. Yet recently, NOAA has been seen working with the US Navy, allowing the continued use of the dangerous technology known as LFA sonar. NOAA has ignored instances where altered behavior in marine mammals off teh coasts of Hawaii and California. For more information:
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2006/07/08/news/news02.txt
Wood, Charlotte. "The Garden Island." Kaui World. 7 July 2006. 16 Apr. 2008 .
This piece analyzes the use of sonar in the Pacific Rim near Hawaii. After reading this article, I became aware of the Navy's desire to continue use of sonar and how they feel it's use is imperative to our nation's defense. I am happy that the government has issued for the Navy to take greater measures in protecting the animals in their natural habitat. I think it is important for people to recognize the importance of keeping these animals safe.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment